Wednesday, February 01, 2012
Tutorial: Valentine Message Pillows
It is Day 8 and the final HeARTfest! Valentine Tutorial.
This is a 2 for 1 post of instructions for making several
unique and custom message pillows.
1. Cut one piece of fabric approximately 8" x 6".
Paint one side with Valspar Chalkboard Paint (found at Lowe's Hardware)
2. When the paint is dry, fold a 0.5" edge on all sides
and stitch in place to keep the fabric from unraveling.
Also. trim the corners at a diagonal to keep excess
fabric from showing. Be careful not to cut any stitches.
3. Cut two larger pieces of fabric approximately 14" x 10".
4. Stitch the painted chalkboard fabric (black side
up) to the right side of one of the larger fabric pieces.
Position the painted fabric vertically 2.5" from the
bottom and centered horizontally on the larger fabric.
5. Place the two right sides of the larger fabric pieces
together and stitch. Remember to leave an opening to
turn the fabric and for stuffing the pillow with batting.
Once the pillow is stuffed, sew the opening shut.
6. Write your message on the pocket with
chalk and clean with water.
The second message pillow is a tutorial I have shared
before but is Perfect for any occasion!
1. Cut two pieces of fabric approximately 13" x 13".
Paint one side of one of the pieces of fabric with
white acrylic paint.
2. When the paint is dry, use a red and blue sharpie
marker to draw lines across the white area of the
fabric mimicking the look of a piece of notebook
3. Select a favorite verse of poetry or special message
and use a pencil to carefully write out the words on the
blue lines. If you make a mistake then erase the pencil
marks and start again. Once written, use a black sharpie
marker to trace over the pencil marks.
4. Place the two right sides of the fabric pieces together
and stitch. Remember to leave an opening to turn the
fabric and for stuffing the pillow with batting. Once the
pillow is stuffed, sew the opening shut.
If you did not get a chance to follow along during our
heart inspired blog-hop be sure to check out the other
fabulous, fun, and easy Valentine Projects to make your
Day 1 with Jane LaFazio
Day 2 with Traci Bunkers
Day 3 with Diana Trout
Day 4 with Lyric Kinard
Day 5 with Judy Perez
Day 6 with Kelli Nina Perkins
Day 7 with Melanie Testa