Saturday, August 19, 2006

Longing

"Today
is a day
like any other: twenty-four hours,
a little sunshine,
a little rain.

Listen,
says ambition, nervously shifting her weight
from one boot to another -
why don't you get going?


For there I am, in the mossy shadows, under the trees.
And to tell the truth, I don't want to let go of the wrists of idleness,
I don't want to sell my life for money,
I don't even want to come in out of the rain."

- Mary Oliver


I returned home on Friday night from being away several days. During my trip, I had managed to make copious notes scheduling every minute, every second of my Saturday. Not a moment could I afford to waste. It was going to be a very productive day, and a lengthy detailed to-do list would keep me on track.

Although I did manage to cross off a few tasks, most of the day turned out quite different. My mind was unable to focus, and my body ached from jet lag, coupled with sleep deprivation caused by my travels. So, I decided to take the afternoon off from my mostly self-imposed obligations.

Late Saturday afternoon, cloudy skies, a gentle rain, and cool breezes arrived in Kansas which drew me outside. A welcomed relief from the 100+ degrees of heat that this state has been experiencing. I sat on the back porch enjoying this gift from Mother Nature.

I did not want to let go of these moments....I did not even want to come in out of the rain.

No comments: