Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Out of the Office...

I have, over the last month, been pondering the idea
of balance, especially as it applies to my life in a day
to day capacity.

This is a concept that is an endless struggle for most
individuals, something that is difficult to achieve, and if
you are able to find it then something nearly impossible
to maintain.

Today's lives are the constant juggle between rushing
hither and yon, to and fro, desperately trying to complete
one more task before another urgent, must-have-done,
out of time priority steps up to demand your attention.

One of the ways I am striving to bring more balance to
my days is by spending Saturdays and Sundays, and after
5 p.m., out of the office, or i.e. my studio.
To remedy what might have turned out to be a
disastrous burn-out situation, I have been enjoying
these past weekends of May living life in other ways,
such as gardening, reading, spending time outdoors
soaking up the sun and breezes, along with re-igniting
my adoration for sketching/painting plein-air.

So, I thought I would share a few of my most recent nature
sketches, a current reading list, and some garden glimpses
from the moments of being, out of the office.






Current Reading List:

- Evidence by Mary Oliver

- Red Bird by Mary Oliver

- Diary Of A Rose Lover by Henri Delbard

- Gracious Living In A New World by Alexandra Stoddard

- Small Talk by Mary Lou Sanelli

- A Poet to His Beloved, The Early Love Poems of W.B. Yeats

- How to Grow Roses by McFarland-Pyle

6 comments:

Catherine said...

your sketches make me want to get my paints out....thanks for the inspiration they are beautiful!

Tina Cully said...

I understand your need for balance, as I am struggling with that constantly. Love the sketches and photos, you are very talented, my friend! Think I will get that Alexandra Stoddard book as well as one of the Mary Oliver poetry books. When it comes to good books I think we have very similar tastes.. :)

Sue said...

Beautiful sketches. I had no idea Alexandra Stoddard had a new (at least to me) book out. Thanks for the info. I have many of her other books, and have always found them wonderfully inspiring.

Dagmar said...

I found your blog thru rebecca sower's blog and loved how your blog looks and your frames around the photos. Would you share how you did that, it gives them such presence.
Thanks

Alma Stoller said...

That is great Tracie.
I am sooo looking forward to seeing your new book.

Alma

cathyb.typepad.com said...

Balance is a tricky thing - hard to find and hard to "balance" even when you do figure out what it is. Keep painting, keep reading - love your sketches - inspirational