Monday, February 27, 2012
Tutorial: Colorful Nesting
With Spring on the horizon, it is a good time
to prepare nesting materials for garden and
woodland birds to use. Here is a tutorial
for infusing a bit of color into a little bird's
1. Start by gathering several colorful skeins
2. Next cut a sturdy piece of cardboard
approximately, 6" length X 4" width.
*It is very important that nesting
materials be no longer than 6" to keep
little birds from becoming tangled.
3. Wrap strands of yarn around the
4. Cut the wrapped yarn from the cardboard,
making sure to clip both edges, so that no
strand is longer than the maximum length.
5. Gather the prepared nesting materials
in a large plastic bag. I like to cut a enough
yarn to fill a 1 gallon bag.
6. Hang a basket outside with the nesting
materials tucked inside.
Then watch for bits of bright color to
appear among the tree branches during
the Spring and Summer. The brighter
the colors the easier the yarn is to